Disclosure – This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
Don’t ask me why, but I had a huge craving this week for farina, something I haven’t had in several years. I haven’t tried other styles of cream of wheat, but this is the way my mom would make it at home. Perfectly spiced, rich, and indulgently sweet, it always brings back fond memories from my childhood! Thankfully, it is pretty easy to make dairy-free, as well! This recipe calls for vegan butter, but if you’re really unconventional like me, you can substitute with an equivalent amount of extra-virgin olive oil for the extra health benefits!
I essentially followed the cooking instructions, while substituting the liquid for oat milk! I found that the farina didn’t quite thicken up like usual, so I doubled the amount of cream of wheat until it did. Let me know how it works out for you!
Dominican-style Farina, Vegan (Cream of Wheat)
- 1 1/2 cups oat milk
- 1/2 cup cream of wheat farina
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/4 tsp cloves ground
- 1 tbsp brown sugar heaping tablespoon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oat milk in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Dissolve in sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and butter to the saucepan.
- Slowly add cream of wheat to saucepan, while stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Stir constantly until thickened and reduce heat to low. Stir in vanilla extract, and immediately pour into bowls for serving. Serve hot or cold.
Let me know how it goes! How does your family serve it?
Here are some of my other recipes!