Disclosure – This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
These crispy tofu nuggets are flavorful and a great replacement for crispy chicken, in any recipe! For busy people like me, I need an easy recipe that won’t dirty all my dishes or leave me standing over a hot stove for what feels like forever! Thankfully, these crispy and savory tofu nuggets come together in 1 bowl! And they are baked, not fried so you can set your timer and forget it as you tackle your other important tasks as these guys bake themselves!
This is the tofu recipe I wish I had when I first went meatless, so if it’s your first time making tofu, I’m so happy you’re here! You’re in for a treat! Tofu can be downright delicious when prepared right, and is so affordable and widely available these days, it wouldn’t hurt to add this technique to your arsenal. Feel free to skip any optional steps or ingredients as needed.
There are 2 next-level steps you can do to make the texture amazing!
1: Simply chuck your block of tofu straight into the freezer as soon as you bring it home from the store! Take it out the next day or so to let it thaw. As the water freezes and thaws, it creates ice crystals that give the tofu a wonderfully chewy, spongy texture.
2: Press your tofu! You can place a paper towel under your block of tofu, and place some heavy pots and pans on top of it, and just let it sit for a half hour or so, until a lot of the water comes out. If you’re
lazy pressed for time like me, I’ll just hold the block over the sink and gently squeeze it with my bare hands until most of the water comes out. The more water you get out, the more flavor can get into your tofu!
I was inspired by this awesome video, but I made tweaks to the recipe to localize it to this area, streamline it a little bit and add more flavor! Feel free to halve the ingredients – I quickly found that just making one block of tofu wasn’t enough. It would be gone before I knew it! So I recommend making it with two blocks, but if you just have one, by all means cut the ingredients in half!
Easy Crispy Tofu Nuggets Vegan, Vegetarian
- 2 blocks firm, extra-firm, or super firm tofu ~396 g block
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil Optional: if you don't have it, replace with vegetable oil
- 8 drops liquid smoke Can substitute with 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 tsp curry powder For final step before baking
- As soon as you buy your tofu, put the whole package into the freezer. Freeze and allow to thaw*. (*For optimal texture, still delicious without this step!)
- Take blocks of tofu out of package, drain, and press the blocks of tofu by placing a heavy pan or so on top of it, until all the water drains out, and tofu is flattened slightly. (If in a hurry, you can gently squeeze the water out with your hands instead, if using extra-firm or super-firm tofu)
- While tofu is pressing, preheat oven to 375 °F. In a large bowl, combine your 'Flavor Sauce' ingredients.
- Using your hands, break apart tofu into approximately 1 inch cubes. Add tofu to your bowl with the sauce, and mix until evenly coated.
- Add cornstarch and an extra dash of curry powder to the bowl and mix well, until evenly coated.
- Lightly grease baking sheet and spread out tofu cubes into an even layer. Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Hope it worked out for you! Enjoy!
Did you check out these recipes, yet?